Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Green Enchiladas


This is how I make enchiladas at my house. I gave them the name "green" enchiladas because originally I used green tortillas and I use a green taco sauce. In the photo shown here I used homemade tortillas which I have included the recipe on my blog as well. This is a before picture (before it went into the oven) of course when they come out they are a cheesy, gooey sensation!

My sister and her husband said they replaced this recipe with their old favorite "chicken enchiladas" with white sauce. They say this is better.

Green Enchiladas
  • 8 tortillas
  • 1 large bottle La Victoria green taco sauce
  • 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
  • 1 cup shredded Colby jack cheese
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 3-4 cups cubed chicken or beef
  • 1 pkg Taco Bell seasoning
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 3 Tbsp lime/lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Grease a 13 X9 inch baking dish. Fry meat in taco seasoning. Add onions and fry for 2 minutes. Add black beans, lemon juice and garlic powder as well as salt to taste. Scoop 1/2 cup of mixture into each tortilla. Sprinkle cheddar cheese (use 1 cup) on top of each one. Pour entire bottle of taco sauce over top with tomatoes and green onions. Sprinkle rest of cheese on top. Cover with foil and place in oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Top with sour cream.

No comments: