Saturday, July 7, 2012

Creamy Orange Chicken Toss

When I first saw this recipe I wasn't too sure about it. Then I really thought about it and believed that it could be better than it seemed. My husband who hates sweet things mixed in his dinner was very skeptical until he tried it. The creamy, tangy chicken bursting with juice and some crunch on a buttery, sweet toast. This was a winner!

Creamy Orange Chicken Toss
  • 4 large chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup slivered, toasted almonds
  • 2/3 cup celery, sliced
  • 4 Tbsp chopped green onions
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
  • 2 large oranges
  • 1 Tbsp grated orange peel
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 tsp sugar
  • 3 tsp lemon juice
  • salt and pepper
  • crisp salad greens
  • loaf of sliced raisin bread

In a large pot of hot water, water chicken on stove until white in center. Chop chicken into 1 inch pieces. Spread almonds on a cookie sheet and bake for 9 minutes at 350 degrees, set aside. Combine chicken, celery, onion and green pepper. Peel orange and separate segments. Thinly slice them. Blend sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, grated orange peel  and salt & pepper to taste. Stir into chicken mixture.

Toast raisin bread slices (you can butter if you like). Place on dinner plates. Top with a bed of salad greens then 1 cup of chicken mixture. Garnish with almonds and oranges. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Annabell said...

This sounds really delicious. I am going to make this but instead of making toast out of the raisin bread, I am going to just make it into croutons to put on top of the salad with the toasted almonds. I had a salad something like this once but it had apples, romaine, nuts,coconut and snickers candy bars and chicken. I know it sounds awful but it was one of the best salads I have ever eaten in my life. It was served at a wedding and I tried to get the recipe but no one could remember who had made it.