Sunday, August 28, 2011

Summer Squash Relish



I am addicted to canning. Okay, maybe "new hobby" is a better word. I had canning fever on Saturday and when I ran out of things to can from my garden I went to the store and bought cucumbers to make pickles.

One of the veggies I harvested in abundance from my garden was yellow summer squash. My husband and son hate the taste and texture of squash and zucchini. I had to find a recipe that they would like. I found this relish recipe online and tweaked it a bit and my hubby and son love it! Let me just tell you that the secret ingredient here is cinnamon. As you have seen in my recipes before I love adding cinnamon to non-desert recipes. The cinnamon enhances the flavor of the sweet relish. Don't be afraid to try this - it is addicting. I did not have bell peppers when I made this but I know they would just add more yumminess to the recipe. Try it in a pasta salad, on a hot dog or smothered over cream cheese with crackers. This is so sweet and zangy!! Is that a word?

Summer Squash Relish
  • 10 cups of chopped or diced summer squash
  • 1 medium white onion chopped
  • 1 medium red pepper chopped
  • 2 1/2 cups vinegar
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 Tbsp pickling spice (as seen in pic above)
  • 1 tsp celery seed
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp pickling salt
Fill sterilized pint sized jars with relish leaving 1/2 inch head space. Stir with wood spoon to remove air bubbles. Screw on sterilized lids. Boil in hot water bath for 15 minutes. Set on counter until jars have sealed (they will make a popping sound). May take 1-8 hours. If lids do not seal try boiling again for a few minutes or place in fridge and eat the next day.

No comments: