Friday, February 17, 2012

Fancy Schmancy Asparagus

I really wanted to wow my husband on Valentine's Day. I know how he loves asparagus but I didn't want to serve it with the traditional Hollandaise sauce since we were having a creamy sauce on our pasta. So, I came up with this idea that really intrigued him. "What is this yummy stuff you put on the asparagus?" was all he had to say to tell me I hit a home run with dinner!

Fancy Schmancy Asparagus
  • 1 bunch of fresh asparagus, sliced into threes
  • Marinated olives (red, green and black)
  • 1 lemon
  • Minced garlic
  • roasted red peppers (in a jar)
  • Capers
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper

Okay, so there really are no measurements for this. To be honest, I went to the olive bar at Smith's and purchased 8 oz of this stuff already prepared, so it was very easy. To make it yourself, just mince up your olives and roasted red peppers and place in a bowl (about 1 cup of minced olives and 1/2 cup minced peppers). Stir in minced garlic, about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of capers, 1/4 cup olive oil, squeeze a fresh lemon and salt and pepper.

Steam your asparagus or I like to boil mine for just a few minutes (I like them crisp not soggy). Then place them on a serving platter. Toss in your olive mix and evenly coat. Then squeeze more fresh lemon over the top and grate a lemon for some nice lemon zest flavor. Enjoy!!

No comments: