Friday, February 3, 2012

Spaghetti Boats



Okay, I have resurrected my original spaghetti squash spaghetti recipe and made it even more delicious! I call this one Spaghetti Boats because if you serve it in the shell it looks like spaghetti in a boat! I didn't serve it in the shell this time around.

Now, this the recipe that my kids really love, however (heart healthy tip) I leave out the butter and majority of the salt on my serving. But you know how kids are when it comes to cheese, butter and salt! I always enjoy this recipe becuase I get my Italian pasta fix without the pasta! I lost an extra pound this morning after having 2 platefuls of this stuff!

Spaghetti Boats
Squash
  • 2 medium spaghetti squash
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • fresh cracked pepper
  • 1 tsp basil
Sauce
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onions
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1tsp minced garlic
  • 1 can tomato paste (save can)
  • 1 1/2 cans water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • fresh cracked pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place squash in the microwave for for 6 minutes each - to soften skin. Slice each squash lengthwise down the center. Scoop out seeds. Place face down on a cookie sheet. Bake for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook turkey in a skillet adding minced garlic, green onions, and green pepper. Cook until turkey is browned. Add tomato paste and water. Stir well. Add salt, oregano, basil, pepper and cinnamon. Simmer on low.

Scoop all of squash out of each shell and place in a medium sized bowl. Make sure it is very hot, but be careful. Stir in butter. Carefully add salt 1/4 tsp at a time while stirring to be sure that it blends well into squash. Be sure to taste in between stirring to make sure the amount of salt is to your liking. Add garlic powder, pepper and basil. Stir well and dish up onto plates or back in squash shells.

Scoop 1 cup of sauce over each serving of squash and top with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

No comments: