Thursday, April 12, 2012

Lindsey's Swedish Meatballs


Oh how I love these! Maybe it's because my ancestors are from Sweden. I just love to serve these with cranberry sauce. The traditional way is to serve them with lingonberries. If you have time to drive to IKEA and purchase a jar, then I recommend it. Otherwise cranberry sauce works just fine. Something about the tartness of the berries mixed with the creamy flavors of the meatballs just does wonders on the pallet!

The traditional method uses a sauce made of beef stock, flour, butter, milk and sometimes sour cream. Sometimes people add the lingonberries into the sauce. I kept them out in this recipe and served on the side. Here is my variation of this grand traditional dish! (If you don't like cream of mushroom soup, replace it with cream, minced onions and a dash of salt.)

Tip: If you can make homemade meatballs I recommend it for much better flavor, otherwise frozen meatballs work fine.

Lindsey's Swedish Meatballs

  • 1 bag frozen meatballs
  • 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 8 oz cream cheese (I use Neufcahtel cheese)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • cracked pepper

Heat up meatballs in a skillet on medium high. Add Worcestershire sauce and continue to brown. Stir in cheese and cream of mushroom soup. Stir until you get a nice sauce that coats the meatballs. Add nutmeg and cracked pepper. Serve with berries and greens.

No comments: