Monday, May 7, 2012

Easy Monte Cristo Sandwich

I found this recipe in one of my cookbooks and the recipe submitter suggested serving it with maple syrup and powdered sugar. I thought that quite interesting since it's a fried ham and cheese french toast sandwich. You know me, there isn't anything I won't try. I made this and it was very delicious! My kids loved it. It tastes like everything you would want in your traditional breakfast all packed into one. I'd love to make this again!

Easy Monte Cristo Sandwich

  • 3 slices of bread
  • 2 Tbsp butter, divided
  • 2 slices Gouda cheese (or American)
  • 2 slices thick cut ham
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten

Spread bread slices with 1 Tbsp butter. Top two slices of bread with a slice of cheese and ham. Stack slices on top of one another until third slice of bread.  Tie a piece of string "package style" around the sandwich to hold it together. Dip both sides of sandwich into beaten egg. Brown each side in a frying pan on medium high with remaining Tbsp of butter. Avoid burning but cook long enought o allow cheese to melt.

Don't forget to remove the strings before you eat. If you don't want to try the maple syrup, try topping with hollandaise sauce or fresh salsa and sour cream. I think it would also be yummy to layer jalapenos in the sandwich. Enjoy!




No comments: