Friday, January 4, 2013

Cauliflower Crust Pizzas



Another Pinterest delight! I was skeptical at first but in the end it exceeded my expectations big time! You wonder how in the world does grated cauliflower turn into or taste like pizza crust. Then when you put it in the oven you worry it will come out mushy or soggy. Nope! It really was a delicious, crisp, thin pizza crust! In fact we wished we would have doubled the recipe because 4 just wasn't enough.

I love that I can now enjoy pizza without feeling bloated from all the carbs. I felt perfectly satisfied after eating this! I think it's great for people with gluten allergies too. So worth making!

Cauliflower Crust Pizzas

Cauliflower Crust (Makes 4 individual pizzas)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups mozzarella cheese
  • 2 cups riced cauliflower (grate the cauliflower on a cheese grater)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup fresh julienned basil
Pizza Toppings
  • 1 cup marinara sauce (1/4 cup per pizza)
  • 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 1 yellow zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
  • Basil Ricotta (recipe below)
Note - I used mozzarella slices, shredded pizza blend cheese, onions, baby spinach leaves, and salami for my toppings.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray. In a medium bowl, combine riced cauliflower, basil, eggs and mozzarella. Divide into 4 amounts and press evenly into a pizza crust shape on the baking sheet. (At first you will wonder how this messy crust will turn into pizza crust. I was worried. Trust me - after it comes out of the oven it's really like a thin pizza crust! Not mushy at all)

Bake crust for 15 minutes. Add sauce and toppings and bake another 5 minutes. Carefully use a thin  spatula to remove pizzas from pan. Enjoy!


No comments: