Thursday, February 7, 2013

Savory Spaghetti

Oh, how I love a good bowl of spaghetti! Not the canned stuff - the real stuff! This is a recipe I got from my sister in law Stacey. I added my favorite secret ingredient to it that I think enhances sloppy joes, chili and spaghetti sauce- and that's cinnamon. I also added cumin. It's so yummy you'll eat the whole pot! Also, the white cheddar cheese makes all the difference. It's sharp and perfect for this dish. SO much better than Parmesan or mozzarella - trust me!

Savory Spaghetti
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Brown all of these together in a pan. In a large pot on medium high, add the remaining ingredients (EXCEPT FOR OLIVES AND CHEESE):
  • 1 qt tomato juice
  • 2 1/2 cup water
  • 1 (15 oz) can of tomato paste
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 Tbsp basil
  • 1 Tbsp oregano
  • 2 Tbsp parsley
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 6 drops Tabasco sauce
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 package of spaghetti, broken in half
  • 1/2 cup ripe olives
  • 1 bag of Great Value shredded white cheddar cheese
Add more water if needed. Liquid should always cover spaghetti so it will boil and become tender. Once it is soft (about 12 minutes) add hamburger mixture. Cover with lid and simmer on low for 40 minutes. Top with olives and white cheddar cheese. Enjoy!



No comments: