Thursday, December 19, 2013

Plum Tart


At family reunions I always hear about the famous plum tart that my great grandma from Germany used to always make. I have always wanted to make it so I could try plum tart. When I think of plums I think of sugar plum fairies and "visions of sugar plums danced in their heads" so for me, this sounded like a Christmas recipe.

It was so delicious that I can't believe I have never had it before. My German husband told me that these tarts are such a common thing in Germany but I think plum is one he hasn't had too often. If you like cherry pie, then you'll love this!

Plum Tart
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), diced
  • 1 egg yolk 
  • 8 red plums, pitted and quartered lengthwise

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the flour, walnuts, and sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter and the egg yolk. Mix until crumbly.

Press 1 1/2 cups of the crumb mixture in an even layer into the bottom of a 9 1/2-inch spring form or tart pan. Arrange the plums in the pan, to form a circular flower pattern.

Sprinkle the rest of the crumb mixture evenly over the plums. Bake the tart for 40 to 50 minutes, or until it's lightly browned and the plum juices are bubbling. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and transfer the tart to a flat plate. Serve warm with ice cream. Enjoy!

No comments: