Monday, March 17, 2014

Pina Colada Pancakes with Creamy Coconut Syrup



On my last trip to Thanksgiving Point I found a bottle of coconut syrup in the gift shop. It looked super tasty and I wanted to buy it but the line was way too long. I decided that I would just have to make up my own recipe and we would have it with the first batch of pancakes that I would make on my new griddle.


The other day I came up with the idea of Pina Colada pancakes and couldn't wait to make them. Because I used a buttermilk mix my focus is not the pancake batter but the toppings and the syrup.When we made them, they were so delicious we couldn't stop eating them and there were no left overs. We had them with fresh eggs from the neighbor's chickens.You have to give this a try! The coconut syrup is so good we used the left overs as an ice cream topping. It's sweet and very rich so you don't need to add any additional ingredients. Holy cow - it's so good over sorbet or chocolate ice cream - even Neapolitan. Mmmmm!

Pina Colada Pancakes

  • 1 box of Krusty's Buttermilk Pancake Mix
  • 1 Fresh Pineapple (peeled, cored and cubed) Do not used canned
  • 2 ripe bananas, sliced
  • 4 kiwi peeled and sliced
  • 1 can of whipped cream
  • (optional - shredded coconut)

Creamy Coconut Syrup 

  • 1 can of cream of coconut
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Make the pancakes according to directions on box (you can replace water with pineapple juice and add some shredded coconut into the batter if you like). Set aside and keep warm.

For syrup, mix together cream of coconut, half and half and vanilla. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate about a half hour to thicken.

Butter the pancakes while warm and top with pineapple, bananas and kiwi. Drizzle syrup over the top and add whipped cream. Enjoy! 



No comments: