Monday, March 24, 2014

Vanilla Poppy Seed Cake


I made this recipe up yesterday when we all wanted something sweet to eat but there were no options in the fridge. I was craving a Cinnamon roll so I came up with this. It was so delicious that my family ate the entire cake! (I didn't have cream cheese so I used sour cream which is why my frosting looks thinner in this picture. It tasted great but I prefer cream cheese for a thicker frosting)

Vanilla Poppy Seed Cake

You can find this on the baking isle at walmart
  • 1 box of white cake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 can poppy seed filling
  • 3/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon 
  • 1 tsp grated lemon zest

Vanilla Frosting
(double the recipe for more frosting)

  • 4 ounces butter, softened
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Set oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl mix together cake mix, eggs, water and oil. Add remaining ingredients and blend well. Pour into a greased 11 X 13 pan and bake for 35 minutes. 

In a medium bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese. Gently add powdered sugar. Add vanilla extract. Spread over cooled cake and enjoy!

No comments: