Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Grilled Chicken Salad with Creamy Mango Dressing


This meal is perfect for those hot summer evenings or afternoons when you aren't starving but you want something refreshing and satisfying.

I went to Bajio's Mexican Grill a few months ago and ordered a side of mango dressing for my nachos. Yes, it did look like nacho cheese but it was no accident. I wanted to change up my nachos. My friends copied me and we had the best meal ever.

I wanted to recreate this creamy mango sauce at home for salads and other Mexican dishes. Let me tell you it goes great with anything fresh and Mexican, just like mango salsa. You can even use it as a grilling sauce for your chicken on the BBQ grill. So good!!

Grilled Chicken Salad

  • 4 cups of washed and chopped iceberg lettuce
  • 4 cups of washed and chopped romaine lettuce
  • 4 large avocados peeled and sliced
  • 3-4 shredded or cubed grilled chicken breasts
  • 1 cup of shredded Colby jack cheese
  • 3 ripe red chopped tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 yellow bell pepper chopped

Toss salad ingredients and serve on large salad platter with dressing drizzled over.

Creamy Mango Dressing

  • 1 to 2 large (about 3/4 pound) mangoes, peeled, flesh cut away from the pit*
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1/4 cup orange juice, or more as needed
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Dash of salt (amount to your liking)
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Blend together in food processor until creamy. I like to chill in the fridge for a couple hours before serving, so it becomes thicker. Enjoy!!

No comments: