Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Herring Salad


Last week we invited my sister and her husband over for a traditional German dinner. My husband is German and we visit there once a year. I decided to make 10 of our favorite entrees and side dishes. This was very authentic and my sister and her husband were introduced to new flavors and textures. It was a lot of fun! We imported a lot of the ingredients and condiments from a German store out of Texas. My favorite are the drinks - black currant juice and cherry juice. That is something you just can't find here in the states.

One of the side dishes I made was Herring Salad. So this will be today's recipe. I thought this would be fun for those of you who like to be adventurous and try new flavors!

There are different variations of this salad from Germany to Sweden to Russia, to Denmark and Norway. My mother in law serves the salad over warm boiled potatoes. I include the potatoes into the salad and I added combined some other traditional ingredients. I love this salad and so does my family - but it is not for picky eaters. As strange as these ingredients sound together- trust me, it is delicious.

Herring Salad
  • 1 jar of pickled herring (not as salty as plain herring)
  • 1 cup of thinly slice dill pickles
  • 2 sm. apples, pared, cored & diced
  • 4 red potatoes, boiled, peeled & cubed (boil 10 minutes - do not let get too soft)
  • 1/2 cup sliced onions (halved)
  • 1/4 c. white vinegar
  • 2 tbsp. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 c. whipping cream

Cut fish into bite-sized pieces. You can drain liquid or set aside and replace it with the vinegar in recipe. In large bowl carefully stir together herring, apples, pickles, potatos and onion. Stir together vinegar, sugar and pepper until sugar is dissolved. Pour over herring mixture. Cover and chill. Whip cream to soft peaks; fold into chilled herring mixture. Top with parsley. Serve immediately or chill.

No comments: