Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Apricot Jubilee! (3 Fabulous Recipes)

So I participate in a food co-op every other week. They have locations all throughout Utah. It's called Bountiful Baskets and for just $15 I get a laundry basket size full of random fruits and vegetables. I base my week's recipes off of whatever I get.

This week I received a bunch of ripe apricots. This was the inspiration for my apricot jubilee. I needed to use them all up before they got bad, so I made three separate apricot based dishes. All were fantastic and my husband and kids went for seconds on everything and left no crumbs behind!

What I love about this first recipe is it is so easy and soooo delicious. I quickly came up with this recipe yesterday as I needed to use up my apricots.

Curry is one of my top 6 spices to cook with and I think a lot of people confuse it as being spicy or just too different to try. Curry is not spicy, it gets that reputation from often being used in spicy dishes. It's a whole new world of flavor if you have never cooked with it before. You will love it!

This curry apricot glaze can also be used as a dipping sauce for breaded chicken or chicken nuggets. It also tastes great on rice.

Curry Apricot Glazed Chicken














  • 1 lb sliced chicken breasts
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange thawed chicken in baking dish.

Curry Apricot Glaze
  • 1/2 cup Apricot preserves (I used apricot pineapple)
  • 1/2 tsp yellow curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp oil
  • 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar

Pour glaze over chicken and bake for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with basil or parsley.






















Apricot Peach Pudding

















I created this recipe to be quick and easy. It makes a great desert, snack or side dish.
  • 1/2 cup apricot nectar (or apricot puree)
  • 1/2 cup peach yogurt
  • 1 cup sliced bananas
Top with whipped cream. Makes 2 servings.


Spiced Apricot Bars with Apricot Icing

This came from my Better Homes and Garden's Recipe book and smells heavenly in the oven. It is very light and healthy, and because it's not overly sweet you don't feel guilty after eating it. I made a few changes to the original recipe (like always) and found that when served with vanilla ice cream it is fabulous!
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp ground all spice
  • 1 egg slightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup apricot nectar (*see my variation below) or orange juice
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 1/2 cup snipped dried apricots ( I chopped up 3 fresh apricots instead)

Apricot Icing
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 3 tsp apricot nectar *
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Stir together all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl - set aside.










In another bowl mix all remaining ingredients. Add to dry ingredients and mix well.











Pour into baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool for 2 hours and drizzle icing over top.












* Apricot Nectar Variation - for 1/2 cup of nectar, I pureed 1 ripe apricot and added water until it measured 1/2 cup. You may want to add some honey or sugar to sweeten it, otherwise it can be tart.

No comments: