Sunday, December 19, 2010

Brownies From Scratch


Homemade brownies are the best! They taste much better than the boxed stuff for sure. I am taking an interest lately to old fashion, from scratch recipes especially cakes. My mom said that when she was a little girl her mom always made cakes from scratch and she could never enjoy a boxed cake mix since. I'm going to test that and see if they really are better. So far, I am agreeing.

Try your brownies with a scoop of peppermint ice cream and chocolate sauce. My neighbor made this yummy ensemble a few weeks ago at her home. It is refreshing and hits the spot.

Brownies From Scratch
  • 5 oz (5 squares) unsweetened chocolate cut into squares (note: I did not have bakers chocolate when I made these so I took about 5 Tbsp of bitter unsweetened cocoa and just enough water to make a runny paste. It work perfectly in place of melted chocolate)
  • 3/4 cup of butter
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla
  • 2 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (optional)
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 13 X 9 inch pan. In small saucepan on low heat, melt chocolate and butter stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, set aside.

In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs until sugar is dissolved. Fold chocolate mixture, flour mixture and nuts into egg mixture until blended. Pour batter into pan and bake for 30 minutes. Cool.

No comments: