Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Non-Traditional Yams

















I don't know about you but I get tired of the ever so sweet yam dishes that line the tables on Thanksgiving. It's enough to make me have no room for desert. Too much calories - too much sugar! My husband hates yams and sweet potatoes and especially will not eat them with sweet toppings on them.

A couple of years ago I created this for my husband and for our family Thanksgiving feast. He loved it! It was yummy and everyone appreciated it as an alternative to traditional yams. I like it much better and I hope you will too! Because yams are naturally sweet, salty flavors compliment them quite well. The last things you should do as add more sweet to sweet. Let me know what you think!

Non-Traditional Yams
  • 6-8 cooked yams, peeled and mashed
  • 1 stick melted butter
  • 2 cups cooked bacon, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
  • dash of salt & pepper
  • 2 cups shredded Mozzarella
  • 2 cups shredded Parmesan
Mix yams, butter, 1 cup bacon, onions, salt & pepper, 1 cup Parmesan and 1 cup of Mozzarella. Pour into a 13X9 inch casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese, bacon and extra green onions. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 23-35 minutes.

No comments: