Thursday, August 19, 2010

Crepe Cake



Once again I was looking through a German cookbook and salivating at the pictures. Like always, I'm too lazy to translate so I like to take on the creative challenge of looking at the picture and creating what I think it would taste like or what it is made out of. German sweets are not sweet enough for the American taste bud so I don't mind going by the beat of my own drum.

I saw a picture of stacked pancakes that looked very thin, with cream and berries on each layer. I thought to myself "Crepes!" They would be perfect for this feat. They are firm and don't get soggy like pancakes. Then I would need a thick cream that worked like glue so the crepes don't slide around. I have a recipe I have used on this blog and I use in many of my pies and cakes. Perfect! Then I just used a bag of frozen berries but of course pie filling would work as well and be just as delicious! This took me no more than 20 minutes to make - it was so easy. This cake is so easy to cut as the slices hold together very well and it is so pretty to see all the different layers - it's art!

Crepe Cake
















Crepes

  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/3 cup half & half (or milk)
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
In medium bowl, beat eggs slightly. Add remaining ingredients and beat until smooth. Heat skillet on medium high. When you can drop water on the pan and it sizzles the temperature is right. Grease pan with oil. Pour 1/2 cup of batter onto pan while tilting the pan to evenly distribute the batter. You have to do this quickly so that the batter doesn't begin cooking right where it landed. When crepe is light brown on bottom flip over and brown the other side. They brown very quickly - sometimes less than 30 seconds on each side. You should get about 6 (8 inch) perfectly round crepes from your batter. Set crepes aside.

Crepe Filling
  • 1 8oz package of neufchatel cheese (or cream cheese)
  • 2 cups cool whip
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
In a medium bowl beat cheese and cool whip together. Beat in powdered sugar until thick and smooth. Blend in vanilla.


Assemble: Spread topping on crepes and arrange your berries or spread on pie filling. Stack crepes. Top with cool whip and berries. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Enjoy!

No comments: