Friday, January 20, 2012

Mole Sauce
















When I was little I hated this stuff (adults who are picky eaters tend not to like this). Now I love it and I find myself craving it a lot! The rich flavors of chocolate, sweet cinnamon, chili powder and cumin are so playful on the pallet and my taste buds sure love to be entertained! I love this with enchiladas but it's also great with soft tacos, burritos and with chips. Here is a recipe I tweaked a bit and made my own.

Mole Sauce
  • 4 1/2 cups chicken broth (or onion soup)
  • 3 Tbsp oil
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion
  • 3 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp dried basil (and or oregano)
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon ( I like to add more)
  • 2 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 3 -4 Tbsp Hershey's chocolate syrup
  • 2 Tbsp Hershey's unsweetened cocoa
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano, cumin and cinnamon. Cover and cook until onion is almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Mix in chili powder and flour, stir for 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in chicken broth. Increase heat to med. high. Boil until reduced by 1/3, about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

I a small dish, add Hershey's syrup and cocoa. Mix together until yo get a thick cake batter consistency. Gently fold into sauce. If too thick, add a little water to your sauce. It should
be the consistency of gravy. Serve warm. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How much flour should I add? It's not listed on your ingredients. :(