Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Best Strawberry Lemonade Ever!


In our house, food is what brings us together as a family. This is the perfect recipe to involve the whole family. My kids loved helping me make this!

My mom gave me a bag full of lemons and strawberries and told me to make strawberry lemonade. I found a recipe off of the Food Network and with a few minor changes I made to it, I have to say this is the best strawberry lemonade I have ever had! My kids couldn't stop drinking it. The recipe calls for mint and we happen to grow mint in our garden. The kids helped me snip some fresh sprigs and I taught them about mint leaves and what mint is used for. I find that when I cook with my kids they learn so much about science, chemistry, nature, nutrition, etc. It's fun! My son said, "Mom you are the best cook! You need to start a cooking school and teach kids how to cook"

The Best Strawberry Lemonade Ever!
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
  • 1 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
  • 2 cups cold sparkling water or club soda (optional)
  • Ice
  • Mint sprigs, garnish
  • Whole strawberries, garnish
In a medium saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Mince up a few mint leaves and add to liquid. Add the lemon peel and lemon juice, stir, and remove from the heat. Let cool completely, then strain into a clean pitcher (use a colander spoon to scoop out seeds and mint leaves on surface. Try to leave all other things like pulp and lemon peel in the drink).The lemon peel will turn into a delicious candy flavored ingredient.

In a blender, puree the pint of strawberries with a cup of the cooked mixture. Add to the pitcher with the lemon juice mixture. Stir well to combine and refrigerate until well chilled.It will separate into three beautiful layers.

(I didn't use sparkling water and it tasted great!) Add the sparkling water and stir well. Pour over glasses filled with ice and serve, garnished with mint and strawberries.



No comments: