Monday, September 20, 2010

Cocktail Dream Salad


This truly is a cocktail of everything. No, it is not low calorie either. I discovered this fruit salad recipe in an old ward cookbook and thought I would give it a try. It's really yummy. If you are not a fan of certain textures, I would leave out the coconut and the nuts to make it more smooth and creamy. If you like your fruit salads popping with flavor, I would use kiwi, mandarin oranges, chopped green apple and pineapple as the only fruit in the salad in addition to the Base ingredients. If you decide to follow the recipe the way it is below you will experience a sweet, creamy and rich flavored salad with a little bit to chew from the nuts and coconut. My husband thought it was perfect the way it is as below. He doesn't like tang, zip and flavor bursts like I do, which is why I would use kiwi, mandarin oranges, chopped green apple and pineapple instead of canned fruit cocktail if I had my way. Try it either way and let me know what you think!

Cocktail Dream Salad

Base
  • 1 large container Cool Whip
  • 1 (8 oz) container of sour cream
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 can cherry pie filling
  • 1/2 bag colored mini marshmallows
  • 1 large can of pineapple tidbits or crushed, drained
Additional
  • 1/2 bag coconut (optional)
  • 1 can fruit cocktail, drained (optional)
  • Sliced bananas (optional)
  • 1 cup mixed nuts (optional)
  • Fruit of your choice
Mix cool whip, sour cream, and condensed milk until smooth. Add pie filling and pineapple, mix well. Add marshmallows and additional ingredients of your choice. Mix well. Chill for 1 hour. Makes 12 to 14 servings.

No comments: