Sunday, March 20, 2011

Coconut Lime Cake


I created this from my imagination. It was perfect for St. Patrick's Day. It smells like my favorite coconut lime body spray and tastes like paradise. I received lots of praise for this creation. I made my white cake mix from scratch using a recipe from my Pillsbury cookbook. The cake mix in a box is easier so I am showing it in this recipe. The boxed cake mixes are much sweeter so if you get a chance to make cake from scratch give it a try but use "cake flour" instead of regular flour. Your cake will taste much better and it's only a couple dollars to buy. I made it in cake and cupcake version. Also, I put lime zest in my cake batter. Some people loved it and some people didn't so I left it out of the recipe.

Coconut Lime Cake
  • 1 pkg white cake mix
  • 1 pkg instant vanilla pudding
  • 2 Tbsp powder sugar
  • 1 pkg lime jello
  • 1 16 oz container of whipped topping
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 2 tsp coconut extract
  • 4 drops green food coloring
Prepare cake mix, add food coloring and pour into 9 inch round cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-43 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Divide cake into 2 slices. Prepare jello according to directions and refrigerate for 20 minutes. In a bowl mix together 2 Tbsp dry instant vanilla pudding, powder sugar, coconut exxtract and whipped topping. On first layer of cake take a straw and poke holes all over. Pour liquid gelatin into holes. Spread whipped topping mixture over top. Add next layer of cake and repeat process. Frost entire cake with whipped topping and dust all over with shredded coconut. Refrigerate two hours and serve.

No comments: