Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Cheeseburger Salad

 So last week an idea came to my head to turn all of the classic sandwiches into salads! Think about it the Philly Cheese Steak, the Club, the Reuben, the Sloppy Joe and of course the Cheeseburger. After I designed my creations I went online and saw that other people had beat me to the punch - but - after comparing recipes I have to say I like mine best!

Let me know what you think!

 This cheeseburger salad was fork licking good! There are three dressings that I think would work well for this. Thousand Island Dressing (it has your ketchup, mayo and pickle relish in it) or try adding pickle relish to creamy honey mustard dressing (which is honey, mustard and mayo) or try the dressing I created below. Either way you can't lose!!

Cheeseburger Salad
  • 1 lb ground beef,  (or barbecued patties)
  • 3/4 cup Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce (do not substitute with any other sauce - trust me!)
  • 1 cup white onion thinly sliced
  • 2 cups tomatoes slices, halved
  • 1 head of romaine lettuce, washed and cut
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
In a skillet on medium high, add ground beef and BBQ sauce. Cook until well done. (This is more like a sloppy Joe salad which I really like.) If you are using cooked patties, crumble in a pan with sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes until glazed in BBQ sauce.

Homemade Croutons
  • 4 slices sour dough bread (or burger buns)
  • 3 Tbsp oil
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp Italian herbs
Cut bread into 1 inch cubes. In a hot skillet on medium high, add oil  and bread cubes. Add remaining ingredients and cook until golden and crisp. Do not burn! Cool on a paper towel.

Mustard Vinaigrette
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp prepared mustard
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 2 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
Place all ingredients in blender and blend for 30 seconds. Chill in fridge until ready to use. 

Place lettuce on platter. Top with warm, saucy, burger meat and add cheddar cheese so that it melts onto meat. Add onions and tomatoes. Top with croutons and drizzle dressing over top. Enjoy!




No comments: