Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hummingbird Cake



Oh how I love this cake! If a pound cake, carrot cake and banana bread wanted to make a baby - this would be it! It's solid like banana bread (not crumbly or dry), moist like pound cake and rich like carrot cake. I love it! The frosting is so thick and stiff and delicious! I love this cake cold. Make sure you chill it at least 4 hours before eating.

I realized the next day, that I left out the milk. I think that's what made it so great! So, I left out the milk below.

Hummingbird Cake
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt1 tsp cinnimon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3 eggs beaten
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1 large can crushed pinneapple
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 cups chopped bananas
Frosting
  • 8 oz softened cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup soft butter (do not melt)
  • 1 lb powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp almond extract
 Combine butter,  cheese, almond extract and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Add sugar. Beat until thick and creamy.

Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Stir in eggs and oil.  Do not beat. Stir in nuts, vanilla, pineapple and bananas until becomes a thick moist batter. Grease a 9 X 13 cake pan. Pour in batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Cool and frost. I like to top with sliced almonds. Refrigerate for 4 hours. Serve!

No comments: